Tuesday, March 4, 2008

YOYO Night and a Blonde Moment


We have a thing around our house called YOYO night. It stands for "You're On Your Own" but really it just means I am not cooking tonight. I have been resorting to YOYO night an awful lot lately, especially on Mondays when my husband goes to his men's bible study. Last night however, I was in a "June Cleaver" mood and wanted to please the kids. Everyone wanted Tacos so C.C. & I made a quick run to the store.

Once home I discovered I had not finished my bible study homework for the week! That is not good when you are in leadership. In fact, I hadn't even started the homework and since leaders meet on Tuesday mornings that meant a good 2 hours of work to do!

Panic began to set in but I figured I could get everything done if I was wise with my time. I browned the ground beef, chopped the lettuce and tomato, made the rice and heated the shells. Things were running smoothly...I am sooooo on top of it!! I added the spice, tomato sauce and water to the taco meat and began to look for kidney beans. That is when I realized, I had made Chili! I am definitely NOT on top of it..... Luckily we had more ground beef in the freezer and taco seasoning in the pantry. We eventually got tacos and I got my study done but I was humbled in the process. Lesson learned: don't put off your bible study homework till the night before! (And Mondays should always be YOYO night!).



PS. guess what's for dinner tonight?!

11 comments:

Kristen said...

I am just tickled! How often do we start out on one path and the direction is changed... tacos to chili... but thankfully back on track to tacos again. That's life isn't it - we start out on a path, sometimes we are deviated from that path - without even realizing it, but thankfully it's not too late! God directs us back!

Glad everyone got tacos and you completed your study!

Oh, and you reminded me - I still have work to do for the study I lead on Thursdays!

Bless you sister!
Kristen

Brenda said...

And now you have the fixin's for Chili for another YOYO night. Not bad for a seemingly mistake! Have a great day!

Theresa said...

We often use the 'your own your own' but I like YoYo better...and yes, I am a real blonde (red actually). Stopping by from Jenny's blog (and enjoying my visit). Thank you. Theresa

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Hmmmmmm.......I like that ideas...YOYO night! I may have to implement that concept in our home!

Thank you!

luvmy4sons said...

Loving YoYo night. For me Sundays is YoYo DAY!

Tonya said...

Kelley,

I had to laugh at your taco/chili mix up. I have those "blonde moments" almost on an hourly basis. For my hubby's birthday I was preparing a steak & potato supper. For an appetizer I would fix one of his favorites... SAUSAGE BALLS! So, I made a special trip by Walmart just to get the Bisquick. All of that only to reach in my pantry, grab the FLOUR and start my recipe. I didn't notice that I'd even made the mistake until I was down to rolling out the last few balls. YIKES! Hubby was sweet and said they were good, even though I'm pretty sure David could've knocked ole Goliath down with one of em. (Hehehehe!) Thanks for sharing!
=-)

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

An honest mix-up when your mind is not in it! In reality you are on top of it because now your dinner for tonight is ready! You sound so busy. Hang in there and find God's blessings in all this!
In His Graces~Pamela

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

And now I bet you had chili on Tuesday, didn't you!? :) Chili is always better the next day anyway!

I like the "yoyo" idea - I'll keep that in mind when the boys are a little older!

I so enjoy popping in here from time to time!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Too funny..and it sounds like something I'd do!!!

I'm glad you were able to get everyone fed, and home homework done too!!!

Kim~

Lelia Chealey said...

That's so funny Kelley! Thanks for the laugh. YOYO...love it. Thanks for the idea. We have those nights, just didn't have a cute name for it. Now I do. M-F YoYo night. I like it... ;)

Pam said...

I love that term you coined for those kind of nights. We've been having way too many of them around here lately.

I'm so glad I discovered you through the Ultimate Blog Party. I have a feeling you'll be seeing a lot more of me tooling around here at your place in the future.

Have a great Monday!