Friday, March 7, 2008

Just Another Day in Paradise.....

Story of my day so far:

My husband dropped a folder on me this morning and said: "read this!" Apparantly my 5 year old had taken it out of his backpack and tried to hide it. Inside was the following note from his Pre-K teacher:

OK, Help!~~~I asked Q what letter says /g/.
He said "eleven." Get out those flash cards."

Yikes! Nothing like being scolded by the Pre-K teacher first thing in the morning. And even worse, my "baby" was hiding it from me. It would appear that I am raising a deceitful, illiterate child! Oh the mommy guilt, will it ever end? Lord, how am I to react to this? Well here is what happened next, tell me if this is not a God moment:

After Dad calmed down & we took advantage of the learning opportunity to teach honesty and responsibility to child # 7, and after I dried my little man's tears we sat down to talk about the letter G:

Me: "what starts with G?"


Q: " I don't know"

Me: "G G G Girl"


Q: "Pearl?"

Me: "No that is rhyming. G G G Girl...Gift... Great. What else starts
with G?"

Q: "God?!"

Me: crying again (dog-gone hormones!)

My son knows God! He recites scripture, he loves to pray for his friends and family and he can beat all of us at bible trivia. Please don't think I am underestimating the importance of his education. I am thankful for the teacher's reminder that we need to step-up and work with him more. He needs to know his ABC's and I have no doubt that he will learn them. He will not get to high school without knowing the alphabet but he could get there without knowing his Lord and Savior. Perhaps my mommy priorities are not so distorted after all!

Now I am off to buy flash cards, work books and study materials, and I am going to buy them from the Christian bookstore!!!


11 comments:

Jami said...

Hey Kelley! Thanks for coming to my blog the other day! I am enjoying reading your posts! They make me laugh!

I saw that you're going to be at She Speaks! It would be great to meet - my sister and I are going too! I can't wait!!!

MelissaTaylor.org said...

Kelley,
How sweet! Yes, your sweet child has what's really important! (a great mom AND God!)

It was so wonderful to speak to you by phone this week. I'm so glad I'll get to meet you at She Speaks.

Have a great weekend:)
Melissa

Joyful said...

Ah Kelley, what a special post.
3 John 1:4 "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." Praying that as this little boy grows, God will always have first place.

It was wonderful to hear from you today too. Loved your continued throughts on my post. Going a step farther with your suggestion, maybe "microwave" living is all our effort, where as "crock pot" living is 'being still and knowing that He is God'. What do you think?

Hope you've had a wonderful day!
Love & prayers,
Joy

luvmy4sons said...

Oh, Kelley...sounds like you got everything in proper order. It IS pre-K...less that teacher forget that after all! Mom knows best!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

He's in pre-k. What's the rush??? It's sounds like you have your priorities right -- his eternal salvation (knowing God) is much more important always and forever than his abcs.

Fran said...

Yes ma'am! He won't go to high school not knowing his alphabet!
You are doing a wonderful job and knowing "G G G G God" is the most important thing of all!

Blessings~
Fran

Unknown said...

Aw, that is the best! Seriously!

Faithful Froggers said...

What a sweet story! Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with your son . . . he knows what is most important in life.

Have a great weekend!
Love & FROG,
Heather

Young Creations said...

What a sweet story. You are doing such a great job with your children. Be proud. And my mom used to always tell me to sweat the big stuff and remember that "He wont go to kindergarden with his pacifier" I hope that makes sense. As you know, they all get there.

Lauren

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous family!! Very sweet photos. Here from 5 Minutes for Mom and enjoying your writing.

Jenny said...

Hi Kelley, you are right the most important thing is God, everything else will come later!

Have fun with the supplies and helping him, they grow up to fast!

Now when mine have trouble I have to say, let's hire a tutor!!