Friday, February 1, 2008

Just call me a Mountain Goat!

I read a story recently about a woman who had two pet mountain goats. Every day she would walk them up the path to the top of the mountain where they would romp, play and wrestle. They loved being on top of the mountain because that is what mountain goats were created for. Eventually they would tire and lie down next to her, completely content.

Unfortunately, there was a construction site next door and it was a big draw for the goats. They would wander off and play in the garbage and mud of the construction site which would leave them dirty, sick or injured. The woman would have to drag them out and sometimes carry them up the mountain road because they were so determined to play in the garbage.

Oh, how I am like those mountain goats! I have been to the top of the mountain and I know exactly where to find joy and fulfillment (in the presence of God) and I know what waits for me in the construction site (pain and shame). So why do I go back? What is so alluring that I find myself once again playing in the mud? How can I break this pattern of falling back into sinful habits?

First of all, I find comfort in the fact that I recognize the pit that I am in. So many people spend time there and don't even realize the dirt and danger that they are playing in. I know that is the Holy Spirit inside of me.

Secondly, I need to repent of my actions and be made clean by the blood of Christ. I cannot allow Satan to hold my sins over my head and beat me up with them. This is especially hard for me, when my own heart condemns me. But it is important to accept God's gift of grace and move forward with Him.

Finally, I must remember that God loves me and if I keep my eyes on Him at all times He will lead me to the top of the mountain. He knows where I will find true and lasting happiness and joy because He created me. I will never be perfect in this life but with God's guidance and leading I can outgrow my desire to play in the garbage!

I don't know what your "construction site" is. It could be anything from gossip to addiction, but whatever it is God wants to lead you out of it. And listen to this, if you can't follow Him out, He is willing to carry you. How humbling and amazing is that?! I may be a mountain goat but I am God's mountain goat and that is all I need to know!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to blogging world! Thanks for entering my giveaway. Come back to visit sometime. I am pretty new at this too! Hope to see you at the SheSpeaks conference.

Unknown said...

Oh, Kelley! I just found this post in your "Post Potpourri" section. This is a great post! It should be a devotional!!!!

You are ready for She Speaks!

Prayers and Blessings!

Rebecca