Sunday, March 9, 2008

Helpless but not Hopeless!

We had an amazing service at church this week! Before the sermon there was a song and a very powerful skit that was similar to ones I have seen before, but this one spoke to me in a slightly different way.....

Bear with me as I set the stage: It involved a line of women in black T-shirts that had sins written on them (lying, alcohol, sexual immorality, cheating....) and a shadowy figure (Satan) that danced behind them. A woman in a white T-shirt hugged each one of the "black shirted" women and when she did their hands left dirty stains on her back. Eventually they didn't return her hug and they formed a circle around her, locking their arms. She finally fell to her knees and cried out to Jesus. When Jesus came, He not only broke apart the locked circle, He covered her stained shirt with his cloak. At the sight of Jesus, Satan and all of the black shirts were scattered and fled!

Yes, I understand the lesson of "courting sin" and how it can trap and entangle us causing us to fall on our knees and reach out for Christ. But here is what struck me: how helpless we are when it is someone else in the middle of that circle. When we are on the outside looking in and we are powerless to break the chains of bondage for someone we love.

When our children are small we are able to protect them from many of the dangers and the darkness of the world. As their parents we see a bright and hopeful future and would sacrifice anything for our children. But what happens when we see them begin to "hug" sinful behavior. When we see the sin closing in around them (even if they can't see it themselves) until they are locked in, and that means we are locked out. Unlike when they were little and we could help them learn lessons and overcome bullies we find ourselves powerless to set them free from the ultimate bully, Satan. And no sacrifice we make can be enough....

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Once again, it is only Jesus! I know He has forgiven MY past, present and future and He has removed My shackles. But this week I was hit with the realization that I also have to depend on Him to break the chains that bind my loved ones. This too is personal. No words, no motivations or actions or manipulation on my part will ever break down the walls that surround someone in bondage. Only Christ can do that. Though it's true of anyone we love; parent, spouse, friend....this is an especially helpless feeling as a parent! Until that person falls on their knees before Jesus, all we can do is be on our knees for them.

This may not be a "new" concept to you and it may not even make sense but for some reason it moved me in big way! If you want to view the skit go here (feel free to skip the worship and go to the 18 minute mark). I debated whether or not to post such a "deep" thought during party week but I so rarely have "deep" thoughts I figured I had better go ahead. Ha!
To end on a lighter note:

My son (17) was in Choir practice during the service and was a little shocked to see a girl walk in with the word "Alcohol" written on her shirt. He was relieved to find out it was all part of a skit.......

Thanks for allowing me to share!

9 comments:

Joyful said...

Hi Kelley, - THIS IS GREAT! You expressed the visual so well I feel like I don't need to watch the video (but I still might). Your application is powerful too.

You're so right when you say, "I also have to depend on Him to break the chains that bind my loved ones. This too is personal. No words, no motivations or actions or manipulation on my part will ever break down the walls that surround someone in bondage. Only Christ can do that." We cannot take responsibility for anyone coming to salvation - or - for anyone refusing to receive Christ. Our call is to pray, pray, and PRAY!!! We share Christ's love when God gives opportunities and leave the rest up to Him. I wish there were guarantees when it comes to our family and loved ones that don't know Christ, but we can hold on to the truth that God doesn't want anyone to perish and pray that their eyes will be opened to receive His truth. I learned this the hard way, through a friends suicide. Oh if only we could MAKE people believe.

Thanks for sharing such an insightful and powerful testimony to God's saving grace.

Love & prayers,
Joy

Yolanda said...

Very good and this hits my heart with my two siblings and my father.

I know that I know, I am not their Savior, and I can't change them. I try to love them right where they are at, but even to that at this season in our lives, they aren't open to that. They have completely shut me out, but I still love them DEEPLY and I pray for them.

luvmy4sons said...

"But this week I was hit with the realization that I also have to depend on Him to break the chains that bind my loved ones. This too is personal. No words, no motivations or actions or manipulation on my part will ever break down the walls that surround someone in bondage. Only Christ can do that. Though it's true of anyone we love; parent, spouse, friend....this is an especially helpless feeling as a parent! Until that person falls on their knees before Jesus, all we can do is be on our knees for them. "

Awesome. A hearty Amen!

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Kelly-what a beautiful post. I wish I could have seen that skit. It sounds powerful but thinking about it as you have written really touched my heart as I think about my teenage girls. I agree-prayer is our best weapon against satan. Walk in prayer Christiain friend!
In His Graces~Pamela

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Kelly~
(I think I deleted this post...so here goes again)

Thanks so much for sharing your heart. As I read your post, I had the Holy Ghost bumps. Woo...Hoo...

We are so blessed to serve a Savior, who is willing and able, to remove the chains of sin that we find ourselves trapped in.

What a powerful message you've shared today!!!

Blessings to you!

Kim~

Jenny said...

Hi Kelley, I just found your blog, and think this is a GREAT post, it is kind of an "answer" to a post I wrote yesterday. I needed to hear it. Thanks! I LOVE big families, yours is beautiful.

She Rose Up said...

So very true & so very discerning of you! Thanks for this post.

kcaimee said...

Kelley,
Yes, we are neighbors! I live in Shawnee. Where do you go to church? I would love to come sometime. Our church in Arizona (which I miss dearly) used to use drama on occasion and it was such a powerful tool.
Aimee
ramirez@everestkc.net

Julie said...

Kelley,
It is hard to watch those you love make choices that hurt them. You want to tell them, you want them to see but sometimes falling is the greatest lesson of all.

Thanks for sharing,
Julie