Thursday, January 31, 2008

She Speaks Conference


Check out this contest at Proverbs 31 ministries, to win a scholarship to the annual She Speaks Conference. I hate to even admit that I have been wanting to go to this conference for the past two years. Oh well, I just need to trust in God's timing, maybe this will be the year!!!!
I have one of those "not so pretty" testimonies that I have spent many years trying to run away from or hide and cover up. Much of my life was spent living in fear of some sort and seeking to find a purpose in a world that has a lot of different "secrets" to the path of fulfillment. I am not saying being a wife and mom isn't fulfilling, I just couldn't keep having babies forever! And with no college education or work experience, what was I qualified to do?
Well, here is how God answered my prayers. First, He led my family and I to a bible believing church where we are all active members. Then He introduced me to a local inter-denominational bible study (CBS) where I grew even more in love with His word. The following year I was asked to be a small group discussion leader within CBS and also asked to lead a marriage study at my church. However, this year has by far been the most amazing. I had agreed to be our class prayer chairman at CBS but at the last moment the Associate Teaching Director had to step down and I got the call. My first reaction was to cry and say "no God, I am not ready for that." It would require being second in command of a class of 159 women and 88 children. On top of that I would have to give 4 to 6 lectures (sermons) throughout the year. Although my first reaction was that of Moses, "here am I, send someone else", I did spend the next several days praying and journaling about it. Eventually I accepted the role and I can't believe how much I have been blessed by it. I have given my first lecture and am due to give another one next week. I look at those lectures and know that they are truly God working through me, I could not have done them in my own strength.
So why do I want to attend the She Speaks Conference? Well, I feel like God has started a good work in me and I want to pursue it with excellence. I have been praying about this conference for two years now and I am leaving it up to God. If He wants me to go, He will show me the way. For some reason He wants to use me and my "not so pretty" testimony and I want to be faithful to Him. If I can't attend this year, I will trust it is just not the right timing. But if I can, I will buckle my seatbelt because I am sure it will be a wild ride!


2 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Kelley,
I believe that the "not so pretty" testimonies are the ones God uses most...and the very thing that hurting people need to hear.

I pray you are able to attend the conference!

Blessings,
Julie @ A Joyful Life

Sandy said...

Wonderful post, I love to hear how God is moving someone to step out for Him! Blessings on your being able to attend!