Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cranky!!

WARNING! This post may not be an Aroma of Joy!!

I have put off writing any kind of post today because I am feeling CRANKY!

It started this morning when my 15 year old daughter (who can't get anywhere on time) made us late for church AGAIN! It is so hard to walk in and worship like I would like to when I am jumping out of a moving car and running across the
parking lot! OK so I waited for my husband to park the car, but you get the idea.

The sermon (the good Samaritan) was very good but you wouldn't have known it by my son (17) who slept through most of it!

After church the same 15 yr. old daughter had the nerve to ask for $$ in order to go out for Chinese food with her friends. My husband reminded her that we loaned her $$ yesterday to buy a ticket to a concert (hello? this is news to me) and that she still owed us some cleaning time from $$ we gave her last month. She takes the answer NO about as well as a toddler does. Needless to say the drive home from church was far from peaceful!

The next adventure we took was to 3 different shoe stores in search of soccer cleats and tennis shoes. How can the same shoe vary so much in price depending on where you shop? And of course I have to drive a car that requires the most expensive gasoline available!!

We hit the grocery store on the way home so Miss 15 yr. old would stop accusing us of running a concentration camp.......

I went to prepare the fresh vegetables and dip for our small group meeting this afternoon, only to discover that my husband had frozen the veggies. On top of that he had eaten the chicken (that was supposed to be our dinner tonight) for lunch last week.

The irony of all of this is that we were not even supposed to be home this weekend. We were packed and ready to leave for a soccer tournament in Des Moines on Friday afternoon. Just as we were about to hit the road we got a call that the tournament had been canceled due to rain. This was great news to me because I love nothing more than a weekend at home with nothing on the calendar......Oh be careful what you wish for!

Like I said, I am just plain cranky!

This has caused me to reflect.......I am so grateful that my Father God doesn't get cranky! When I make mistakes or behave like an ungrateful child He is loving, patient and full of grace. His mercies are new every morning and each new day holds the promise of His presence and His love should I choose to see it. Oh how I want to parent like that!

As I fall asleep tonight I will lay my burdens at the foot of the cross and pray that tomorrow I will do a better job of showing my family the love of Jesus! But first we have to pull a tooth, restring a softball glove, prepare school lunches, give Quin a bath.......

Thanks for allowing me to vent a little...

19 comments:

Debbie said...

hehe sounds like a typical day at our house too, some days!!

Debbie

Old Folks Blog said...

Hi Kelly,picked you up over at Edge of Design.You have a great
blog.
Have a great week.
God bless

Missy said...

Sorry :(

I have quite a few days like this!

I used to always make my mom late too. Drove her nuts. She finally left me a couple of times, and I got the hint. Just leave.

The frustrating thing is that I am ALREADY experiencing this with Eva Rose. who's just three. Paybacks...We have already had the "it is very selfish of you to make everyone else in the family wait on YOU" talk several times. Which of course, makes me a big fat hypocrite but whatever. Unfortunately Eva Rose is too young to leave anywhere. But when she's four.... ;)

Jenny said...

I'm with you on the cranky behavior! I'm blaming it on to high of gas price and groceries going through the roof!
Thanks for tagging me, I should have it up...today!
Jen

luvmy4sons said...

You know for some reason I thought that the typical angst of living with teen agers wouldn't come our way. I mean we home school and I have read them the Bible every day for all of their lives. I was going to have these perfect children...Ha! I have found that they are not perfect. AND I certainly am not either. It is life together as a family. I love the way you related it back to you and your relatinship with God. I often do that. I stop and think to myself how often I must appear the same way to God in other ways, but just the same. Hope today is a better day!

Amy said...

Vent away, sister!:)

That sounds like a typical Sunday at our house...and I just have two teenagers (both boys).
My husband and I always joke that it's comforting to know that we can always consistently disappoint someone. ;)

And I loved your analogy with God...I have to remind myself of that....often.

God Bless,
Amy:)

P.S. Your concentration camp "lack of food" joke made me laugh out loud.:) That's what my youngest acts like I'm running if I don't jump to attention and make him a plate of food the very moment that he decides he is hungry.:)

Lelia Chealey said...

Lol...you know days like that you could just grab the car keys & head to Lincoln since I am only 3 hours away!! Although as my 6 year old says, "we put the 'fun' in dysFUNctional". Not sure she knows the meaning of that or is just repeating what she's heard me mumble under my breath.
And all I want is for my children to rise up and call me blessed like the Proverbs 31 woman for goodness sake!
Make it a GREAT Monday!
Love you girl...remember to hop on I-29 if you need to I'll be waitin'! lol

Joyful said...

Kelley, have you ever seen the picture book, "Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day"? In the story one thing after another frustrates and upsets this little boy. The last page he just admits, "Some days are just like that!"

Sorry your Sunday wasn't wonderful, but today is a new day. Trusting you've all awakened with a fresh perspective. My 15 year old son was ornery Saturday night - can we blame it on something in the air?

Smile, my friend - God's mercies are new every morning.
Love & prayers,
Joy

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Kelley~
Wow.....somedays...my world looks just like yours today!!!

Aren't ya glad that Jesus mercies are NEW every morning!!!!

I hope today is going better for you!?!?

Kim~

Yolanda said...

Oh how thankful I am that His mercies are new every morning. As I was driving to the office this morning, the sun was only about 1/2 way up on the horizon and I simply had to praise God for His new mercies this very day.

Love ya!

Kathi said...

Your day sounds like so many of mine! You are cute and funny. You are so right about our Lord not getting cranky. Have a great Monday sweetie, Kathi

Melanie said...

I am so glad that God is not cranky, but always patient and loving!

Holly said...

Aw Kelley, I understand. That joy-stealer likes to get me all cranked up, too.

I hope your Monday is going much better!
with love,
holly

Jamie said...

I hope your Monday is going better than yesterday. I know those cranky days all too well.
Have a great week!
Jamie

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I know those teenage attitudes too well I'm afraid. So did your day go better today?

In His Graces~Pamela

Rhonda said...

Oh Kelley! Thanks for being human. I was cranky today.

My youngest decided to paint her toenails outside. I told her to be sure and put something underneath and do NOT spill any polish on the patio.

Of course she did spill. I, of course, reminded her that I specifically told her not too.

I was also in the middle of doing supper dishes, sending hubby & older daughter out the door to their commitments, and preparing my home for the ladies group that I was hosting in half an hour.

I was cranky & I felt justified.

Of course, I apologized to my girl and peace was once again restored to our home.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm there with you!

Rhonda

Angela Baylis said...

I just plain love you, Kelley! I'm sorry yesterday was not your favorite. You painted the perfect picture though. I've been there. Believe it or not, I miss those days! You go ahead and be cranky whenever you need to! I pray today was so so so much better!
Love you,
Angie xoxo

Angela Baylis said...

p.s. You just reminded me of something I am still cranky about that happened Saturday. If you don't mind I will vent on YOUR blog... You know the gas prices, right? Well I did what there are warnings all over the place about. Do NOT leave unattended (Do not get in your car while waiting for the tank to fill up. Don't answer your cell phone while the gas tank is filling. It WILL pour all over the place and you will spend $$$$ for gas spilled on the ground! Then... right after that we went golfing and I locked my purse in the trunk (with my keys still in it!!!) Thanks for letting me vent here! Today was much better for me, too!
:)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Wow. that's alot going on over there in your neck of the woods. Aren't teenagers a bucket of fun?!